November 21, 2013

How I Fill in My Brows

So here is the story of my eyebrows.
When I was in middle school, I had the best eyebrow waxer. She always shaped my eyebrows so perfectly  and I thought I was one lucky girl because good eyebrow waxers can be hard to find in my opinion. Then one day, she disappeared from the salon she was working at and I never heard from her again. I had to resort to going from nail salon to nail salon to achieve the perfect brow, and anyone who has gotten their brows done at a nail salon knows that they really don't know what they are doing in terms of actually shaping (but for 6 bucks, you can't really complain). I always ended up with uneven brows with absolutely no shape to them, and I was never happy. I always ended up just trying to tweeze them myself because I figured I could do just as good of a job. Finally, earlier this year, I started going the Benefit Brow Bar at Ulta and I've never looked back. If you go to their site you can watch/read in-depth about their approach to everything brows, but long story short: If you want to go to a professional who will shape your brows correctly for your face, invest in a $20 Benefit brow wax. I promise you, it is worth the money.

You may not realize, but brows are a very important feature for changing the way your entire face can appear. A nicely arched and defined brow can really open up your face, and that is why it is super important to give your brows some TLC. So obviously, the first step to doing so is shaping them. I clearly go with waxing but if you prefer threading, that's fine too. Secondly, filling in your brows to define them and make them stand out is the next important step. I recently started filling in my brows and I cannot go a day without doing it or else I literally feel naked. It really just changes your entire face. Even on days when I'm wearing minimal makeup, I still lightly fill them in. It is also a great tactic for hiding messy brows. At times when I am in dire need of a brow wax, or am trying to grow them out a bit, filling them in makes them look 10x better than leaving them bare. This is because I'm defining them into what I want others to see and making the stray hairs a lot less noticeable.

Filling in your brows is not a difficult task and I really think it is something everyone should do. Here is a step by step tutorial on how I fill in my brows..any beginner should be able to follow along!

First things first: Here is a before and after picture.

Step 1: Brush your hairs with a spoolie brush into the direction that you want the hairs to all flow and into the shape you'd like them to be in. This will help put any stray hairs in place (I know you have all woken up with those crazy brows with the hairs facing in every direction!)

Step 2: Trace along the bottom of your brow with a brow pencil. I use the Anastasia Brow Wiz in Brunette. You can see how even just this small step goes a long way in making your brows look much more defined and polished. 

Step 3: Using a brow powder and an angled brush, trace the top of your brow. This is where you can really define your arch, or fake one if yours is not defined enough. For a more defined brow, you can continue this line to the inner portion of your brow, but for a casual everyday look, I usually keep this portion of the brow bare or with very little product. For this step, I use the darker shade of the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Powder Duo in Dark Brown.

Step 4: Fill in the body of your brow using the same brow powder and angled brush. The outer tail of your brow should be the darkest, and it should gradually fade as you move inwards. For this step, I mix both the light and dark color of the Anastasia Brow Powder Duo in Dark Brown. Once you are done, Brush your brows out with a spoolie brush just to make sure everything is evenly blended and then set with a brow gel. I use the Anastasia Beverly Hills Clear Brow Gel.

Once you are done with one brow, repeat for the other brow! One important tip that I've  learned along the way and repeatedly heard from the pros is that your brows are sisters, NOT twins. It is going to be nearly impossible to get them looking exactly the same as each other, so don't worry if one has a bigger arch, is thicker, etc. This frequently happens to me but it is not something to stress over! 

Here are a few pictures of my full face before and after filling in my brows, just so you can see the way it changes my face. 

BEFORE: 

AFTER:

 

I hope this was helpful for you guys! 'Like' this post if you'd like to see more tutorials like this and if you decide to give filling in your brows a try, let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment